Saturday, March 18, 2006

We Were Warned, or Were We?

I saw "We Were Warned: Tomorrow's Oil Crisis" on CNN at 2006 March 18 2000 EST (8 pm) and was disappointed by the documentary for several reasons:

1. The ads did not go with the documentary. One of them was a Lexus ad for this fancy schmancy car that advertised all that's great about it except fuel economy. Another one was about how cool it was to have a cell phone that wasn't a cell phone because it was a video game with cell phone capability.

2. An executive from Exxon-Mobil said we had 100 years (or was it billion barrels) of oil left in this country if they could dig for it. What I know is I think of this Hubbert curve for our country peaking in 1970s after a discovery peak in the 1930s, and then I think of world production peaking in the 1960s and drawing the curve from there, except that the executive wants to push out the right side of the curve as though it were Pinocchio's nose.

3. The main problem I found with this documentary was that it used an unlikely double disaster scenario as its base point for discussion. I think it would have been better if it had shown absolutely no Katrinas, Ritas, al-Qaedas, bin Ladens, planeattacks or any other such deviations from business as normal and still shown that the effects of the crisis would still occur: high oil prices, empty Wal-marts, no tourism, people fighting with each otehr, and plunging stock markets.

4. I do note that that point that another poster made about the ethanol from sugar cane solution working only in Brazil showed up absolutely nowhere in the documentary.

5. I also note that for the hurricane on Houston they used footage from Rita, and for the disaster in Saudi Arabia, I think they used footage from Persian Gulf War I.

A better documentary is "The End of Suburbia". I have heard of a 90-minute documentary called "Oil Crash" but have absolutely no idea as to how to see it. In the meantime, CNN needs to try again with its documentary on peak oil and come up with something that is more likely.

No comments: